From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: usata@g.o, jbms@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] (emacs) proposed site-lisp and byte-compilation improvements
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:37:31
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd like to get a discussion going about possible improvements to
4 GNU Emacs on Gentoo. If you got CCed make sure to reply to the
5 list. Here are some ideas I've had.
6
7 * Firstly, please review this:
8
9 http://dev.gentoo.org/~mkennedy/emacs/site-gentoo.el-rfc.txt
10
11 I would like to see us move to something like the above for
12 customization.
13
14 In no particular order, here are some other changes I propose:
15
16 * Move away from the big concatenation of
17 /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/*-gentoo.el into
18 /usr/share/site-lisp/site-start.el.
19
20 Instead, leave site-start.el alone, and create a site-gentoo.el which
21 loads each *-gentoo.el file (call these "site hooks") pragmatically.
22 This has the benefit of freeing up site-start.el for user usage. The
23 programmatic approach also allows for the possibility of the user
24 defining their own site hooks.
25
26 * Byte-Compile site-gentoo.el and all site hooks
27
28 Perhaps this will make for more rapid load times.
29
30 * Install elisp source in such a way that global recompilation is
31 possible.
32
33 It is a "dirty little secret" that our .elc files from add-on elisp
34 packages are able to persist between emacs major and minor version
35 upgrades. The format of byte-compilation can change between releases,
36 and allowing these old .elc files to be loaded into an updated emacs
37 can cause it to crash.
38
39 I suggest we provide a way to recompile all .el files for elisp add-on
40 packages (typically from the app-emacs/ category, but also from
41 ebuilds supporting the emacs USE flag). This mechanism should be
42 called whenever a new emacs upgrade is performed.
43
44 We should probably keep a separate source archive directory somewhere
45 so we can compile for multiple emacs implementations
46 (eg. app-editors/emacs and app-editors/emacs-cvs). We should take
47 whatever steps are necessary to ensure find-function/variable/library
48 etc. still work properly.
49
50 * emacs and emacs-cvs coexistence
51
52 Following on from the previous point, it would be nice to clean up
53 app-editors/emacs and app-editors/emacs-cvs so they co-exist more
54 cleanly. (provide and /usr/bin/emacs and a /usr/bin/emacs-cvs -- I
55 know there's already a version number symlink there).
56
57 * Your Thoughts Here...
60 Matt
63 Matthew Kennedy