From: Charlie C <phceac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: checkfs error
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:27:35
1 Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 07:53, Jani Monoses wrote:
3 > ...
4 >> You are using an old version, or did not update your check* scripts,
5 >> as this was fixed in July (?) already.
6
7 That's true, but the new version is (i think) worse.
8 Now, it appears, return values of 1,2 or 3 do nothing, even though both
9 2 and 3 should cause a reboot (unless I'm missing something).
10 All the rest cause a sulogin, and then ... no reboot. This seems to be
11 taking a few chances with the users filesystems.
12
13 man fsck says to me that we must do a bitwise and between 2 and the
14 return value to determine whether a reboot is required. i.e.:
15 if [ $((retval & 2)) != 0 ] ; then
16 ewarn "fsck requires a reboot"
17 rebootrequired="yes"
18 fi
19 And common sense tells me that it would be prudent to do a reboot after
20 any manual fsck-ing, when retval > 3
21
22 I've got a heavily modified version of the checkfs script(excerpt
23 above). Having had some "heart-in-the-mouth" moments with the previous
24 version, it's one of the things I keep an eye on...perhaps I'll have to
25 submit it to bugzilla.
26
27 Charlie
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list