From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large scale deployments - and portage
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:38:53
1 Hi Ron,
2
3 Currently there is no support yet for what you want, except when you do it
4 yourself. But we are actively looking into providing for an "enterprise
5 gentoo". This version of gentoo would have real releases every say half
6 year (the terms have not been decided yet), further it would provide
7 security fixes and fixes for serious bugs. But it would not provide newer
8 versions of applications to provide more stability. Security fixes would
9 be backported if at all possible.
10
11 Expect work on this to become visible in the comming months.
12
13 For now, for enterprise systems you probably want to have a server that
14 maintains private snapshots. (It is easy to set the specific tree in the
15 make.conf file, and multiple trees can be offered on the server). You
16 would then need to monitor security problems, and merge the fixed ebuilds
17 in the snapshot trees. This indeed is some work, but I believe in most
18 enterprise enviroments such an update would involve some testing too.
19
20 For syncing the server trees, please take a look at the rsync mirror
21 documentation. In those environments it is most often more applicable to
22 use rsync directly instead of through portage. That also allows for custom
23 locations. You might also want to exclude parts of the tree like games.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo developer