From: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 08:59:45
1 On Sonntag, 21. März 2021 08:58:34 CET James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > How about making emerge --config dynamic, copying if it's on a
3 > different partition and symlinking if it's not? You can't accurately
4 > determine the use of an initramfs but at least this is closer to what
5 > we want.
6
7 We will not be able to carry the revert for Qt5Core forever. I suspect it will
8 be gone with Qt6, and then all we can do is ewarn users that their clock will
9 be broken if their localtime is not a symlink.
10
11 Keeping it as a file would mean convincing upstream(s) that the symlink is a
12 systemd-ism, not a standard.
13
14 Regards