From: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <jeedo@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Feature request: can "emerge sync"'s rsync compression be made optional?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:41:26
1 Troy Dack wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 04:15, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
3 >
4 >>Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>On Saturday 24 January 2004 19:16, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>>This seems to be hardcoded at the moment, could a variable be added to
10 >>>>make.conf, perhaps
11 >>>>
12 >>>>SYNC_COMPRESSION="yes/no" to control this behavior
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>i would say no ... i dont know of any reason why you would want to do that and
16 >>>it would increase the load on our rsync servers ...
17 >>>-mike
18 >>
19 >>Some mirrors (mine) specifically ask people not to use -z, gentoo users doing
20 >>so piss of the mirror admins which means gentoo wont be mirrored.
24 > Could you elaborate on why you ask users not to use -z?
25 >
26 > Is the load on your hardware too great when using -z?
27 >
28 > If that is the case then disable compression on the server like is done
29 > with rsync1.us.gentoo.org (see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rsync.xml)
30
31 Its not "mine" as in "i own it" but as in "i use it"
34 <quote>
35 $ rsync ftp.rhnet.is::
36
37 Welcome to the RHnet Archive, Iceland
38
39 DISCLAIMER: RHnet is not liable for the use, storage or
40 transmission of any files stored on this archive.
41
42 Please email suggestions and questions to ftpadm@×××××.is
43
44 Access our ftp area by anonymous rsync like
45
46 rsync -av rsync://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/path/below/ /your/path/
47
48 Please _don't_ use the '-z' option, as most of the files here are
49 already compressed, and running compression is CPU intensive thing
50 anyway. Just _wait_, and the transfer will eventually complete.
51
52 This mirror archive is also known as:
53
54 ftp1.is.freebsd.org
55 ftp.is.debian.org
56 rsync2.is.gentoo.org
57
58 Module Content Size
59 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
60
61 pub Public ftp area (ftp://ftp.rhnet.is/pub) (>800 GB)
62 FreeBSD FreeBSD Mirror (>90 GB)
63 NetBSD NetBSD Mirror (>55 GB)
64 OpenBSD OpenBSD Mirror (>50 GB)
65 fedora Fedora Linux Mirror (>32 GB)
66 redhat RedHat Linux Mirror (>65 GB)
67 redhat-contrib RedHat Contrib Mirror (7 GB)
68 debian Debian Mirror (>90 GB)
69 debian-non-US Debian non US Mirror (~2 GB)
70 slackware Slackware Mirror (>8 GB)
71 suse SuSE Mirror (>40 GB)
72 gentoo Gentoo Mirror (>30 GB)
73 gentoo-portage Gentoo Linux Portage tree mirror (~90 MB)
74 </quote>
75
76 The resons appear to be that they have more bandwidth than cpu, and perhaps do
77 not like to disable -z completely because they know some users might need to
78 use it sometimes, rather they ask that people dont use it.
79
80 I really dont think its fair to abuse this service we're getting for free from
81 rhnet so im asking you to incorporate a small feature so that i and the rest of
82 gentoo users in iceland can stop abusing our main mirror which is kindly
83 provided to us.
84 We of course can just edit the source code but a make.conf optiton is better,
85 its also alot simpler to provide new icelandic gentoo users with docs saying
86 they should add one option rather than tell them to go edit the source code or
87 provide a patch which needs to be kept up to date.
88
89 >>I think thats a valid reson,
90 >>Perhaps there could even be a SYNC_OPTIONS="" line where people could specify
91 >>all options in case they need other uses.
94 >>>--
95 >>>gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
96 >>>
97 >>>