From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:59:08
1 On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 06:27:41 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 1. Devs don't want to have ebuilds that capture dependencies on every
5 > little thing. A few well-chosen virtuals like "shell utilities" or
6 > whatever might help with this.
7
8 Just note that PMS specifies a few requirements about those utilities
9 as well. I'm not sure if we want ebuilds explicitly DEPEND-ing on
10 things which are required by PMS.
11
12 In any case, virtual/posix-system would be nice to have.
13
14 > 2. Things like Prefix rely on the system not installing local copies
15 > of libraries in the core system it needs to link to. Careful use of
16 > package.provided in profiles might address this.
17
18 We could also make virtuals not pull in anything on Prefix in those
19 cases.
20
21 > 3. We'd need many more virtuals to handle situations like FreeBSD
22 > where people don't what GNU on their systems. Right now if they are
23 > system packages they just define system appropriately and ebuilds
24 > don't directly pull in the GNU stuff anyway.
25
26 I doubt that's a problem. We've got a lot of virtuals and adding new
27 ones shouldn't be a problem. I'd dare say it's better to add more
28 virtuals than introducing USEflags to existing ones -- it requires less
29 work from users.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny