From: Tom von Schwerdtner <tvon@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Cc: jnelson@×××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for new dependency syntax
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:00:26
1 > What data are you using for the "Conflicts are rare" statement?
2 > Using
3 >
4 [snip]
5 >
6 > So roughly 25% of the packages in Debian have a Conflicts line,
7 > and ~20 percent have a Replaces line (afaik, replaces is for
8 > when a package changes names). Provides is for meta packages,
9 > and is present in roughly 14% of the packages.
10 >
11 > 25% is certainly not "pretty rare".
12
13 Not if you take Debian conflicts seriously, but you really shouldnt.
14 Debian packages control /etc to a large extent, and it is very hard to
15 have scripts that properly setup /etc files (esp on Debian where you have
16 the 'alternatives' setup) when a system can potentially have multiple
17 apps/servers that do the same abstract job (MTA/DBMS/HTTPD/SSHD...etc..),
18 so Debian takes care of this by saying "OK, you can only have 1 httpd, 1
19 DBMS, 1 MTA and 1 sshd". This way, the scipts just have to deal with
20 whatever package they are contained in and dont have to deal with the
21 situation where there is already a package installed that does the same
22 abstract job.
23
24 Gentoo leaves /etc to the admin, which is good, so there is no reason why
25 Gentoo should have the same "conflicts" that Debian has.
26
27 Gentoo also installs from sources instead of pre-built binaries, which
28 leaves alot more flexability to the configuration of the system.
29
30 Basically, Debian conflicts are just that, _Debian_ conflicts, and they
31 should not be taken as anything more than that.
32
33 -Tom
34
35 BTW: I am not some seasoned Debian developer, these views come from using
36 Debian for a while and having to work around the various Debian conflicts
37 that I ran into......yes, Debian conflicts irritate the hell out of me :)