From: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] common ebuild mistakes
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 01:40:20
1 Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > George Shapovalov wrote:[Mon May 26 2003, 02:49:36PM EDT]
3 >
4 >> As such it makes sense to put some absolutely something basic in
5 >> DEPEND for the package which does not have any apparent (as
6 >> non-trivial, not bad-researched) dependencies. In that respect
7 >> virtual/glibc perfectly fits the bill...
10 > DEPEND="" works just as well. Since glibc is in the default profile,
11 > there's no reason to list it as a dependency, just like we can
12 > assume some basic shell utilities are present when the ebuild is
13 > processed.
16 Depending on the degree you are talking here, I tend to disagree with
17 the notion of not including some so call "basic" dependencies, because
18 profiles can have variations that may include stripping out some core
19 components. As we move into the embedded realm, the definition of our
20 "core profile" will need to be reduced, so adding full dependency
21 information now is not necessarily a bad thing.
22
23 Instead, we need to clarify a truly minimal system set of packages (such
24 as libc) for which their dependency information need not be included.
25 This will probably be taken up as part of the embedded project's efforts
26 to scale the system down, so there is not pressure to do this now.
27
28 The tools already exists to build a dependecy list by tracking what the
29 actual build process uses during execution, and I have seen a couple of
30 ebuilds in the tree that seem to have used them. This may not be a bad
31 standard practice to follow if those few core packages can be put on a
32 'whitelist' for exclusion by those tools. At some distant point,
33 automating this process with a tool would not be a bad thing:
34
35 emerge --makedeps package-1.0.ebuild
36
37 This would build the package, tracking the deps, and modifying the
38 ebuild to update the build dependencies. The recent thread that talked
39 about collecting branch prediction information by automatically running
40 the program a few times suggests to me that a similar process could be
41 applied to also detect RDEPENDS. The above flag should also imply the
42 use of --digest run as a finalization step.
43
44 Cheers,
45
46 Zach Welch