From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] X won't start, says RmInitAdapter failed (nvidia drvs)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:27:02
1 On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 07:56:47PM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > > Oh -- and if your kernel is being compiled for "Pentium III", you may want
3 > > to upgrade to binutils-2.11.90.0.31, do a make clean in you kernel
4 > > directory, and reinstall the kernel, modules and media-gfx/nvidia.
5 > I'll do that (both things), thanks for advice. But what exactly would the
6 > binutils upgrade fix/change? Also these binutils are masked (by the rc6
7 > profiles) - could the reason, whatever it is, adversely affect me?
8
9 There are some PIII/SSE2 compiler bugs in the binutils we are using. The
10 kernel may contain some assembly that triggers them.
11
12 Best Regards,
15 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
16 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org