From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:21:15
1 Abhay Kedia wrote:
2 > I am involved in this thread since its very beginning but looks like I am not
3 > being able to understand the problems. Would you please be kind enough to
4 > enumerate the issues discussed in this thread that warrant complete removal
5 > of Skype (rather than masking it) from the tree?
6
7 We have a policy that ebuilds should be in the tree for at least 30 days
8 before we mark them stable. Skype uses funny license that forbids us to
9 mirror the "installer file". Skype wants to remove that older file from
10 their mirrors in less than 30 days after they release a new version.
11
12 Current Gentoo "stable" would be unistallable. New version can't be
13 marked as stable because it won't have been properly tested yet.
14
15 Users will see that stuff that used to work for them is broken now.
16 That's a regression that could have been avoided if Skype wasn't marked
17 stable.
18
19 It could be interesting to evaluate a new rule "fetch/mirror restricted
20 package can't be marked stable" :).
21
22 Cheers,
23 -jkt
26 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth