From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] locking user accounts doesn't really lock them.
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:55:15
1 On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:27, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > Right now, at least on Gentoo, if you lock a user's account with passwd -l
3 > <username>, that user is still able to access their account if they have
4 > ssh keys set up. This is, in my mind, a fairly big security hole.
5 > Googling, I found an issue related to the Solaris implementation of PAM[1]
6 > that was fixed in a later version.
7 >
8 > Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this in Gentoo and/or Linux? (I
9 > don't have access to any non-Gentoo linux boxen atm, so I can't say for
10 > sure if this issue exists on other distros) A tweak to PAM, perhaps?
11 >
12 > --kurt
13
14 It's often overlooked but a much easier method for locking a user out is
15 simply to change their default shell to /bin/false or something like it.
16 SSH keys or not, they won't be getting access to the box anytime soon
17 without a default shell.
18
19 kevyn