From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new global use flag and a new category
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:06:56
1 On Sunday 29 August 2004 20:32, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 29 August 2004 02:10 pm, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 29 August 2004 19:44, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > is it used in 600 different packages or just the ones in kde-base/
5 > >
6 > > Why should I write 600 packages, if it would be only the latter?!
7 >
8 > uhh, no one said to
9 > # of packages in kde-base: 22
10 > # of packages in portage: ~7700
11 >
12 > if your final USE flag is only going to be utilized by packages in
13 > kde-base (i dont care where you put it), then it should really be a
14 > local USE flag, not a global USE flag
15
16 The kde configuration system (including the --enable-final) is used in
17 many kde applications that are not in kde-base. While --enable-final will
18 not work in all of those applications, the amount of applications in
19 which it would work is probably substantial. I agree with Carsten on his
20 reluctance to add the description for all these packages. It is not the
21 work required (scripting makes it doable), but the fact that it does not
22 make much sense.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze