From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: sam@g.o, zlogene <zlogene@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] CI and be CC'ed in a bug report
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 10:07:16
1 Hello,
2
3 I've noticed that it's been in vogue lately say "as you were asked many times"
4 when there is something to say.
5
6 Well, this often (always?) happens without a reference but I don't care.
9 As asked by sam, CI should CC people that are breaking stuff with their
10 commits, see:
11 https://cutt.ly/Wbx08SQ
12
13 However since there are message like this: https://cutt.ly/vbx2qv2 I'm giving
14 a public explanation about what is happening:
15
16 1) Compilation of package 'A' works as expected
17 2) A new major change is introduced (gcc/glibc/binutils)
18 3) The CI system always runs an updated system, then it uses latest ~arch
19 versions
20 4) Someone touches the package by introducing a simple comment in the ebuild
21 5) Since the ebuild was touched, the CI tries to compile it
22 6) Package 'A' fails to compile because of GCC-11 and not because of the
23 comment added into the ebuild.
24
25 This happens mostly when the entire tree has not been 'tinderboxed' with the
26 new major change.
27
28 So Mikle, I have nothing to fix.
31 For the record, if you want to request a change, you should send at least an
32 email or open a ticket.
33
34 Send a message somewhere (mostly IRC) and say "as you were asked many times"
35 just seems to be unproductive (or unprofessional, it depends on the point of
36 view)
37
38 As a side note, as written before and reminder:
39 who does not want to receive email/reports from tinderbox and ci may request
40 to be in the exclusion list.
43 Agostino