From: Paul Sebastian Ziegler <psz@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Little respect towards Daniel please
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:25:35
1 Thank you.
2 I am replying off-list because I do not want to create even more flaming.
3 I'm not a dev. Just a user in terms of gentoo. I'm subscribed to the
4 list since I need all the info I can get. And gentoo has definitely come
5 a long way in the last few weeks. First that 8-Day-Flame about saving
6 Dolphins in gentoo-user, now the dev-war.
7
8 It's nice to see someone pick up a good point and express it.
9 thanks
10
11 Paul
12
13 expose@×××××××××××.net schrieb:
14 > Dear list,
15 >
16 > Why not simply naming the "formal logic rules" for the "official venue where
17 > developers (and ex-developers and users) can talk out their disagreements"
18 > to be:
19 > 1. Anyone who is impolite get's kicked off.
20 > 2. Anyone who repeatedly and seemingly on purpose tries to harm the discussion
21 > will be kicked off.
22 >
23 > Impolite: Do, under _no_ circumstances, use a word MTV would have to mute, or
24 > that your grandmother (hopefully) wouldnt want to hear you say ;-)
25 >
26 > Repeatedly: We are humans, we make faults.
27 >
28 > Seemingly: If this wouldnt be part of the rule, there would be endless debates
29 > on wether it was on purpose or not.
30 >
31 > On purpose: We are humans, we make faults, it has to be premeditation or so
32 >
33 > Kicked off: There is a group of twelve zillion people who just ban those
34 > people from the list, or rather, their email-adresses.
35 >
36 > harming a discussion: a list of things that can be considered harmfull should
37 > be set up. sth like "pointing out things that are not relevent" (like
38 > statements the consist of no more than "i do not like that idea"), or trying
39 > to shift the issue to sth different, like "oh and besides, you often have
40 > typos" and so on...sth that does, in no way, help finding a solution is to be
41 > considered harmfull in the above sense.
42 >
43 > I also suggest banning those people from posting only.
44 > Plus is suggest banning to be longer. a 2hr ban wont prevent flaming, but will
45 > look funny, and is alot of work. (if this was meant seariously)
46 > Banning someone for a week, a month, and finally forever are more reasonable
47 > time frames i think...
48 >
49 > I think those rules would ensure people sit back before replying, and think
50 > before they write.
51 >
52 > There simply is no need to flame, get impolite, or harm a discussion, thus i
53 > find being as strict as this is okay.
54 > How do you think to politicians discuss problems in parliament? Call each
55 > other fuckhead if hundrets are watching, screaming through the room while
56 > throwing chairs and tables? I doubt it.
57 > Things are similar here: We are _alot_ of people and discuss.
58 > Certain rules of civilized discussion, that what's usually taught in
59 > elementary school, need to be followed here, too. Only that the issue isn't
60 > that someone can cut someone else off...
61 >
62 > If anyone comes up with that the progress of politicians is too slow:
63 > It is slow, because they do break one of the above rules, and because they do
64 > often search for solutions where there is no objectively clear winner,
65 > because the want to keep their power, have personal interests, and so on.
66 > And - would you honestly think politicians would get _more_ productive, if
67 > they started slandering each other?
68 >
69 > Yet, here things are somewhat different:
70 > Code is more secure, or faster, or smaller, or in another way "better" than
71 > other code, depending on what the most important thing is for this piece of
72 > code.
73 > And a documentation is more or less understandable for the avg. user / dev, or
74 > is more correct, and thus simply is better.
75 >
76 > Here, i feel like we do not fail because we cannot find the solution that's
77 > best for most of us, but we fail because of personal problems. And those
78 > could easily be adressed by the above rules, as they in a way - as alot of
79 > what is to be considered "polite" does - 'remove' a part of our personality
80 > from the actual progress of discussing, since emotions are suppressed.
81 > Shortening discussions to their functional part is sth that would help to
82 > adress this issue, and on the other hand people could still become
83 > ("cyber")friends since there is IRC and private discussions need to go on
84 > anyway.
85 >
86 > At least, different personalities are what the current thing is all about, as
87 > far as i know about it, which (luckily?) isnt that much.
88 >
89 > Bryan Østergaard <kloeri@g.o> wrote:
90 >> Somehow a lot of people seems to think banning is the only possible
91 >> solution. I tend to think that's a horrible idea myself and most of
92 >> devrel backs me up on that.
93 > Of course it is a horrible idea, but isnt it better than seeing someone
94 > constantly insulting people, instead of being productive, functional,
95 > objective or at least polite?
96 > At the moment I feel like there is no real reason _not_ to insult anyone, for
97 > those who like to do so, which has to be changed or values will be lost
98 > completely. It can even be fun to get rid of aggressions collected throughout
99 > the week at once, yet the gym is the correct place to do so, not this list.
102 > Sincerely,
103 >
104 > Daniel
107 > P.S.: I know I did not read the complete thread, yet I am physically ill at
108 > the moment, not able to read it all. [ <-- fuel your flame-o-mat with
109 > this ;-) ] Anyway I hope to have said something helpfull not mentioned
110 > before...
113 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list