From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Georgi Georgiev <chutz-dated-1064921634.2cafb67a49c0@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] A proposal regarding packages that provide kernel modules
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:17:44
1 On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 07:33, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > Installing packages that provide kernel modules in Gentoo is a real pain.
3 > Several packages that are among the annoying ones are mplayer and svgalib. They
4 > only provide a single module, but would require complete recompilation on a
5 > kernel upgrade. Since they are not SLOTted, reverting to an older version of
6 > the kernel requires another recompilation.
7 >
8 > I want to suggest a different system in respect to installing kernel modules.
9 >
10 > - Kernel modules are not to be recorded in /var/db/pkg/category/package/CONTENT
11 > at all. This is the point that may be the most conflicting, but I personally
12 > do not think that this would affect things a great deal. The
13 > /lib/modules/<version> directories have plenty of files that are not recorded
14 > anywhere anyway (files created by "make -C /usr/src/linux/ modules_install)
15 >
16 > - Introduce new functions that can be included in ebuilds called something like
17 > compile_modules() install_modules(). Also introduce a --modules (or similar)
18 > switch to portage that will only execute those functions and thus effectively
19 > only install the modules that a package provides.
20 >
21 > - emerge --modules cannot be executed if a package is not emerged already.
22 >
23 > - Emerging a package would, of course, also install the modules. (i.e. "emerge
24 > --modules" is a subset of "emerge")
25 >
26 > - Since emerge --modules can only be run on an already emerged package, and
27 > since the files it installs are not recorded in CONTENTS there is no need to
28 > touch the files in /var/db/pkg on an "emerge --modules".
29 >
30 > - Emerging a package that provides kernel modules records the package to
31 > /var/cache/edb/modules in a manner similar to world. This way the user can
32 > simply "emerge --modules modules" and they can install modules to their new
33 > kernel.
34 >
35 > Expecting your comments and I hope we reach some kind of solution.
36
37 I like it.
38
39 As it stands right now, when I use a new kernel, I have to remerge
40 nvidia-kernel, lm-sensors, cisco-vpnclient-3des, pcmcia-cs, and re-run
41 /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl to rebuild all the modules. This can
42 be a serious pain and something I forget to do quite often, especially
43 when testing out kernels. My current solution is to move all of the
44 modules that are built into a new location under /lib/modules/<ver> to
45 keep them from being automatically removed with the next merge.
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Developer, Gentoo Linux
50 Games Team
51