From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] LAST RITES - rt2x00 beta 3
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:51:53
1 Hi list.
2
3 Not often I issue a last rites, but here we go!
4 rt2x00-beta3 driver is going to be masked over the next few days and
5 then removed from portage around the end of January.
6
7 This is at the request of upstream as they're mainly bored of fixing
8 compile and useability errors in beta3 with new kernels and want to
9 concentrate on beta4.
10
11 To be fair, the rt2x00 project has never issued a stable driver and
12 beta3 codebase is very old as shortly after its release they changed to
13 the devicescape stack, which in turn isn't in the mainstream kernel
14 either.
15
16 I try to keep the rt2x00 cvs ebuild working with the latest 2.6 kernels
17 we have in Gentoo, and you are encouraged to use that in it's place.
18 Failing that, we also offer the rt2500 driver which I can personally
19 vouch works, and other ratech drivers for your hardware.
20
21 Thanks
22
23 Roy