From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rc5 install docs, revision 3
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:40:03
1 Hi All,
2
3 Here's revision 3 of the install docs. I also want to prefix this new rev with
4 an apology to pm (Parag Mehta); I didn't believe him when he told me that there
5 was a problem with these docs earlier. Now I see that he was right. These
6 should work for everyone now:
7
8 Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc5 Install Instructions
9 Version 1.0.3
10 30 Jun 2001
11
12 First, head over to:
13 http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/1.0_rc5/isos/
14
15 You will see two bootable iso images. One is 42Mb, and contains a ix86 build
16 image only. You can use this system to build a specially-optimized Gentoo
17 Linux system from scratch. The second is 618Mb, and contains a huge amount of
18 i686-specific binaries. To use this CD, you'll need a system with a P6 or
19 P6-compatible core, such as a Pentium Pro/II/III/4 or Athlon. Also, a note for
20 SCSI users: this new boot CD will boot from nearly any modern IDE CD-ROM, and
21 nearly any modern SCSI CD-ROM, and includes support for all Adaptec, Buslogic,
22 Initio, NCR, Symbios, Tekram controllers (and more!).
23
24 OK, here's how to install the gentoo-i686-exclusive-bin-1.0_rc5.iso.
25
26 1. Download and burn the ISO image.
27
28 2. boot your system with the CD in the drive :)
29
30 3. at the login: prompt, type "root" and hit enter.
31
32 4. at this point, you should create your partitions, LVM logical volumes or
33 software RAID volumes, as desired. LVM is supported, and we will have
34 instructions on how to create an LVM initrd soon. Until then, the LVM
35 option is only for the Sistina guys and those who are really LVM-saavy :)
36 fdisk and cfdisk are at your disposal. Make sure to format your swap
37 partition using "mkswap"; we'll use this swap area in a bit.
38
39 5. mount your root partition to /mnt/gentoo and your boot partition to
40 /mnt/gentoo/boot (create these /mnt dirs first). If you are setting up Gentoo
41 Linux with a separate /usr or /var, these would get mounted to
42 /mnt/gentoo/usr and /mnt/gentoo/var, respectively.
43
44 IMPORTANT NOTE: if your *boot* partition is reiserfs, be sure to mount it
45 with the "-o notail" option so GRUB gets properly installed. Make sure
46 that "notail" ends up in your new /etc/fstab boot partition entry, too.
47
48 6. Type:
49 # export ROOT=/mnt/gentoo
50 (This tells Portage where to install all the files)
51
52 7. Type:
53 # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/etc
54 # mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage
55 # mount --bind /usr/portage /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage
56 # ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.profile
57 (This tells Portage that we want to install the "default" system profile)
58
59 8. Type:
60 # swapon /dev/hdxy
61 (Replace /dev/hdxy with the device containing your swap; this enables swap
62 which will probably be needed by the next command)
63 # emerge --usepkg system
64 (This tells Portage to install a basic system to ${ROOT})
65
66 9. OK; even if you'd like to custom-compile your own kernel from the bootcd
67 (yes, this is possible!) you need to emerge our default kernel package.
68 Everyone should do this:
69
70 # emerge /usr/portage/packages/All/linux-2.4.4.9.tbz2
71
72 If you want to compile your own kernel, I'll show you how in a bit.
73
74 10. If you need network connectivity for any reason, you should load the
75 appropriate NIC module now:
76 # modprobe 3c59x
77
78 11. Type:
79 # mount --bind /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/packages /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages
80 # mount --bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
81 (This gives you access to /proc and the packages even after the chroot)
82
83 12: Now, it's time to chroot:
84 # chroot /mnt/gentoo
85
86 13. Now, do some basic initialization:
87 # rm /etc/make.profile
88 # ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default /etc/make.profile
89 # unset ROOT
90 # env-update
91 # source /etc/profile
92 # /etc/rc.d/init.d/initscripts-install
93
94 14. You can now emerge any packages in /usr/portage/packages/All that you'd
95 like to install:
96 # emerge --usepkg /usr/portage/packages/All/xfree-4.1.0.tbz2
97 (the --usepkg option is important)
98
99 15. If you want to compile your own kernel, do this:
100 *First*, edit /etc/make.conf (with vim; if you don't like vim, emerge
101 your favorite editor .tbz2 in /usr/portage/packages first)
102
103 *** set your USE variables appropriately (uncommenting the default USE ***
104 *** variable lines is the recommended approach ***
105
106 # emerge /usr/portage/packages/All/linux-sources-2.4.4.9.tbz2 (2.4.4-ac9)
107 # cd /usr/src/linux
108 # make menuconfig
109 # make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install
110 # depmod -a
111 # cd /boot/boot
112 # mv bzImage bzImage.orig
113 # cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage .
114 ta da!
115
116 16. At this point, your Gentoo Linux system should be equivalent to a bare-bones
117 system image. A number of things still need to be set up, including:
118
119 /etc/fstab
120 /etc/localtime
121 /etc/make.conf (if you haven't already)
122 /etc/rc.d/config/basic (for keymap, etc)
123 /etc/rc.d/config/inet.eth0 (for ethernet)
124 /etc/hostname
125 /etc/resolv.conf
126 /etc/hosts
127
128 (For further instructions, see the "Gentoo Linux CD Installation Guide" at
129 http://www.gentoo.org, read from the "/etc/fstab" section onwards)
130
131 17. One last step -- configure GRUB to boot your system. Again, for further
132 detailed instructions on this, see the "Gentoo Linux CD Installation Guide"
133 at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/install.html -- GRUB configuration is covered
134 near the end of the document.
135
136 You're done! Reboot and enjoy Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc5! We'll be updating the Web
137 site with new documentation in a couple of days, and will be posting instructions
138 for the ix86 build iso soon.
141 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
142 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
143 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.