From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] January 2010 meeting date
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 06:07:22
1 On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
2 > I will make it short, since i already requested it 3 times, did create a thread at gentoo-dev ML:
3 >
4 > agenda topic: Discussion and approval for following item:
5 >
6 > Adding real multilib features from current multilib-portage to currently hardmasked and testing
7 > portage-2.2* for wider testing, more eyes looking at it and hopefully more people helping improving
8 > it, so we can get a version, which most can accept for PMS and maybe next EAPI.
9
10 Sorry, I forgot to send an email explaining what happened on the
11 council alias as promised. The consensus was that the project wasn't
12 mature enough to go ahead. Also more generally the council's job isn't
13 discussing but deciding, approving, etc... Discussing is what should
14 happen on mailing lists. Before you can bring that to the council we
15 need to see an as-much-as-possible finalized solution with any of the
16 following if applicable: portage branch with an implementation that
17 people can try, documentation, PMS patch, devmanual patches, and a
18 team. By team I mean: who is going to maintain this in the long run if
19 necessary? A one man team is a dead team, it's only a matter of time.
20 If the amd64 team is going to be the one doing this job, and this is
21 just an example buy the way, then we need them to tell us they're OK
22 with it.
23
24 Now don't get me wrong. I love your project and the last thing I want
25 is to shoot it down. Look at what happened with prefix. They wanted
26 the council to approve it immediately or else... We didn't cede to
27 pressure and worked with them to make it good enough for approval.
28 Right now I don't hear anybody arguing about prefix going forward. And
29 that's exactly what I want for your project, i.e. helping you making
30 it better instead of it fading and failing in the (not so) long run.
31
32 I will stop now because I'm at a bus stop near Mount Fuji and I need
33 to go. I hope the other council members, especially the more
34 technically competent ones than me, will get back to you on this and
35 offer help and advice. As soon as I have a better internet connection
36 I will contact you about this.
37
38 Denis.