From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 01:06:40
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Which is where the design flaw is -- as-needed incorrectly assumes that
3 > the only type of dependency between shared objects is a name
4 > dependency. This isn't true with C++ static initialisers.
5
6 I don't see why should be different than abusing .init in any other
7 language that let you do (ok, C, C++, asm mostly).
8
9 > Unfortunately, the ricers shoving as-needed upon everyone aren't smart
10
11 Asking people to not do stuff that is unportable (Solaris and PE based
12 systems) seems sensible and not ricing.
13
14 > enough to fix libtool, which is the real problem here, so they go for
15 > the thing they think they understand instead, without thinking the
16 > implications through -- as-needed, like fast-math, is for programs
17 > explicitly designed for it, not for universal use.
18
19 Differently -ffast-math is setting up a slightly different behavior than
20 the usual standard, --as-needed enforce what is the default standard in
21 determined architectures, thus the exception and the universality are
22 quite reverted.
23
24 We already started to think how to fix libtool, or at least make it less
25 annoying, removing .la files when they are not necessary.
26
27 Similarly we started proposing upstream to use pkg-config if they aren't
28 already.
29
30 lu
34 Luca Barbato