From: Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Rationalizing USE flags by narrowing the scope of them.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 20:29:56
1 Hi,
2
3 On 03/01/2022 18.16, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > I'm trying to understand your principles here. Like on what basis do
5 > you remove or add flags (in general).
6
7 My principals is to end-user experience over exposing as much as
8 possible as USE flags.
9
10 A real life example
11
12 media-sound/deadbeef
13
14 The .mp3 support can either use libmad or libmpg123. The first one is
15 dead upstream, while code work currently with it, because it is dead, I
16 rather avoid some setups where users setup +mad instead of +mpg123 that
17 are mutually exclusive and run into some issues, like crashes, that
18 would waste a lot of time on debugging it, so I made it that mp3 depends
19 on libmpg123 without option for libmad. Some overlay-provided ebuilds
20 for it do have option for libmad, I decided to not include it.
21
22 If you'd decide to give user a choice, you would make it as USE flag,
23 but from end-user perspective it does not provide any benefit, and from
24 maintainer perspective it's better to reduce error surface.
25
26 Perhaps the 'pam' example was extreme, but ipv6, or threads as Sam
27 shared, does not make sense to be togglable.
28
29 -- Piotr