From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:54:27
1 On Sunday 05 October 2003 09:17, Kumba wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > It would make most sense to
4 > > me to choose what classes of drivers/functionality I wanted through USE
5 > > flags and then do post-installation configuration through
6 > > /etc/modules.autoload*. Can anyone say why the kernel is special and
7 > > should be done differently? - other than if it ain't broke don't fix it!
8 >
9 > Honestly, the kernel is special. Everyone has a different x86
10 > machine...different NIC card, sound card, video card, motherboard, IDE
11 > chipset, scsi card, CPU....Some have V4L, some have I2C stuff, some have
12 > parallel ports, some have ISA, some have PCI, some have both, some have
13 > serial console, some have radeons, some have nvidias.....See the point?
14
15 What I was thinking with the USE flag idea was that "audio", for example,
16 would build all of the audio drivers, etc. Similar to what "emerge xfree"
17 does.
18
19 > x86 is *way* too diverse an architecture to configure solely through USE
20 > Flags. How can it be set so we know whether someone has a VIA IDE
21 > chipset and not an SiS, or how someone have a RealTek 8139-based NIC
22 > card, and whether they need the old RealTek driver, or the newer one?
23
24 Hmmm... it is safe to build in drivers for several chipsets, if not a little
25 bloated. The old/new realtek driver couldn't be handled, however. But that's
26 why it would be imperative to have a source extraction option to mimic what
27 is presently done.
28
29 > As much as we all love Gentoo for it's ability to configure things
30 > easily (in most cases), the kernel to me is just that one little nuance
31 > that stands apart from the base system. Everyone should learn how to
32 > configure their kernel, in my opinion. It is probably the one thing
33 > every linux distro should teach people how to do. The advantages far
34 > outweigh the disadvantages, and by building their own kernel, the user
35 > becomes aware of what is inside their machine.
36
37 I agree that all users should really know how to build a kernel. But I also
38 think that every user should know how to download a source tarball and
39 compile and install it manually. Knowledge is power...
40
41 All in all, I'm happy with the way things are done now. I'm just a firm
42 believer in standards.
43
44 Jason
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list