From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Slacker archs
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:12:55
1 On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 03:52:07PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:21:49 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:35:32AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > It is widely perceived that Gentoo has a huge problem with slacker
6 > | > archs cluttering up the tree and making maintainers' work harder.
7 > | > Clearly, something needs to be done about this.
8 > | >
9 > | > I think the first step is to establish what all the problem
10 > | > architectures are. We all know that mips is by far the worst
11 > | > offender, but by how much? Rather than speculating wildly, I
12 > | > decided to make use of adjutrix and wc to find out. So, here we
13 > | > have a table showing just how much mips is a slacker arch:
14 > |
15 > | Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
16 >
17 > Exactly my point.
18 >
19 > | > As expected, supporting minority archs is leading to tree-wide bloat
20 > | > and huge initial rsync times for users. Clearly something has to be
21 > | > done to protect Gentoo from those useless minority archs! I mean,
22 > | > how many users do we *really* have using amd64 or x86?
23 > |
24 > | Actually digging into the data rather then doing the "lies, damn
25 > | lies, and statistics" approach shows a pattern of mips having a large
26 > | % of their stable packages lagging the others.
27 >
28 > Which isn't at all relevant when it comes to the question of causing
29 > tree bloat.
30
31 Tree bloat is commonly defined as crap packages hanging around, crap
32 versions.
33
34 Arches trailing behind in stabling means that their *are* older
35 versions that can't be punted, which frankly, is inducing 'tree
36 bloat'.
37
38 Regardless, data was presented as "see, mips isn't behind"; which...
39 isn't the case as your own data shows.
40
41 ~harring