From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES use or misuse?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:29:03
1 On Tuesday 03 November 2009 21:58:27 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:36:18 +0100
3 >
4 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Userpriv I've seen the funny idea to check if UID=0 and such.
6 >
7 > Yes, and that 'funny idea' has the added advantage of working even if
8 > userpriv is in FEATURES but not actually enabled (yes, that can happen).
9 >
10 I would consider that a bug. Maybe fixing that bug is easier than
11 workarounding it?
12
13 > > > > To quote:
14 > > > > "FEATURES is a portage specific package manager configuration
15 > > > > variable not specified in PMS and cannot reliably be used in
16 > > > > ebuilds or eclasses."
17 > > >
18 > > > Makes sense to me atm.
19 > >
20 > > Makes no sense to me, but then I seem to be special :)
21 >
22 > PMS doesn't document user configuration. If PMS did document user
23 > configuration, it would mean that user configuration file formats
24 > couldn't arbitrarily be changed between package manager versions as
25 > they are now.
26 I fail to see which part of "It's a key-value list, like the old windows .ini
27 files, with comments starting with # allowed" is so specially specific that it
28 can't be documented. But then I often fail to notice such obvious
29 obviousities.
30
31 > If FEATURES were specified by PMS, Portage wouldn't be able to change
32 > the meaning of its entries without careful EAPI controls. So far as I'm
33 > aware, no-one is in favour of introducing such a restriction. There
34 > are easy alternatives available, and unlike checking FEATURES, those
35 > alternatives actually work.
36 That is concentrated nonsense. You're implying that an ebuild setting (EAPI)
37 can control the package manager configuration. That's so exquisitely backwards
38 and incoherent that I'm having a hard time taking you serious.
39
40 If PMS defined the existance of a FEATURES variable (like, say, CFLAGS) then
41 the contents of that variable could be arbitrary whitespace-separated strings.
42
43 Amazingly CFLAGS is not EAPI-controlled and can take arbitrary values, so
44 generalizing that amazing functionality to other configuration variables
45 should be an easy exercise for the advanced reader.
46
47 Once that is done it can be specialized to a FEATURES variable, which is
48 exactly what we expected.
51 > > And all my attempts to get it fixed have been deflected, so I'll keep
52 > > ridiculing it until it stops being a failwhale.
53 >
54 > Patrick, perhaps you would find your efforts more fruitful were you to
55 > respond to reviews of your patches by fixing the issues raised,
56 I'm trying to do that. And you might want to not patronize me (especially in
57 an academic setting that would be terribly rude, on the internet it's just
58 silly)
59
60 The fact that there are a few dozen violations of PMS that are bastardly
61 expensive to rollback suggests that harmonizing PMS to reality may be the
62 cheaper method. Trying to bend reality to fit the specification can be an
63 amusing game, but has a very high chance of failing hard.
64
65 > instead
66 > of using every available opportunity you can find to take pot-shots at
67 > PMS, close off legitimate bugs as INVALID and generally attempt to make
68 > life as hard as possible for those for whom PMS matters most.
69 I do wonder to whom PMS matters.
70
71 It didn't matter to the eclass authors that littered them with "bad" bash 3.2
72 features.
73
74 It didn't matter to QA when they were notified of that.
75
76 It didn't matter to council back then and is still not high up on their
77 priority list.
78
79 Can it be that the general population of gentoo developers plainly don't care
80 about PMS? And if we were to assume that were true, why would they do such a
81 thing?
82
83 So many questions. Almost like those TV shows where you can win a million
84 dollars or a flamingo or a new car.
87 > Of the small number of patches that have ended up being rejected from
88 > PMS, all but one have been yours, and the one that wasn't was because
89 > the author had mistranslated a phrase. I'd appreciate it if you would
90 > stop to consider why this is the case.
91 >
92 Well, I've not contributed to PMS (like most people) for a long time. Like
93 other people I've known that ANY patch I contribute will be denied. Most other
94 people don't have the curiosity that drives me to try it to prove my theory,
95 so the number of PMS contributors is amazingly small.
96
97 Added to that it's atrocious language. Might have been better if native
98 english speakers had written it, but beggars can't be choosers. Most people
99 don't have the stamina to read it, much less find all the spots they'd need to
100 clean up to have a small bit of functionality improved.
101
102 And then why bother when the tree doesn't reflect PMS. It's just futile to
103 work on a "documentation" that gets the basics wrong. And as soon as you read
104 up on prior discussions you find these exhausting discussions that go nowhere
105 ... why would any sane person want to spend time working on that? Much more
106 fun to actually fix bugs or write ebuilds. Or play WoW or whatever.
107
108 But I digress. You didn't actually want to have an answer, that was most
109 likely a rethorical question. Silly me taking things literally.
110
111 Anyway, chill out, enjoy Christmas,
112
113 Patrick