From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Things one could be upset about
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 02:46:12
1 Rich Freeman posted on Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:20:30 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Honestly, I think we should really reconsider the current GLSA policy.
4
5 What's the next step, not to step on anyone's toes? It's going to take
6 coordination, so get a sense of the council first and then see what the
7 security team and archs think? Security team first, then archs and
8 council?
9
10 Or start a new thread here with a security proposal title and see where
11 that goes first?
12
13 Because it's nice to think we should reconsider current policy, and I
14 obviously think so too, but way down in this thread as it is, this could
15 easily get lost and nothing will change, at present. And that would be a
16 shame. It might be that the changes we're talking have a fatal flaw, but
17 if so, better to get a proposal out there and have it properly shot down,
18 ideally with another proposal substituted, than to have it sink and never
19 know what that fatal flaw was.
20
21 Because, well, I shudder to think of the actual security of a publicly
22 accessible installation if they're waiting on GLSAs, the way thinks are
23 now. That being the case, it'd arguably be better not to even have the
24 charade. Yes, have a security team and have them do the updates they are
25 doing now. Just don't have GLSAs at the end. So people can't have a
26 false sense of security relying on them.
27
28 But if they can be fixed, say by sending the GLSA at first-to-stable or
29 even stable-request, I think the GLSAs would actually be useful, and it
30 seems you, at least, are of the same opinion.
31
32 So where /does/ it go from here?
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman