From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:32
1 > If Gentoo is committed to offering users a large degree of
2 > customizability,
3 > wouldn't segregating the various KDE components lend itself to continuing
4 > the
5 > evolution of that flexibility? I would cheer at the ability to type
6 > "emerge
7 > kmail" rather than "emerge kdepim".
8
9 It would be wonderful to have this functionality - there are two hurdles
10 though. One is that someone needs to implement it. The other is that
11 someone needs to maintain it. The second part is the harder of the two.
12
13 Currently, it's pretty difficult to just maintain the ebuilds in their
14 current state, if you consider how in flux dependencies are between
15 releases.
16
17 I would love to see this packaging scheme migrated to sub packages within
18 portage, but after having spent the past year and half with Gentoo/KDE I
19 can tell you it's not something I'm personally going to try and implement.
20 If you're up for the challenge, then let's talk.
21
22 Caleb
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list