From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: Gentoo Seeds
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:56:38
1 On 9/21/06, Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
2 > Please keep in mind that only a few of the approximately 300 Gentoo
3 > developers are taking part in this discussion and only a few of them
4 > actually seem to get a bit more heated than it should be.
5 > If you think they are behaving poorly, feel free to think so, but
6 > remember that they do not entirely represent Gentoo.
7
8 I agree entirely, however I also think that the actions of a few can
9 be magnified in the public's eye and reflect upon a the whole group.
10
11 I think that many (most?) people would agree that in both this
12 discussion and the one surrounding the Sunrise project lines have been
13 crossed. The Etiquette Policy [1] specifies that "... as a developer,
14 what you say and do reflects upon Gentoo and the project as a whole.
15 We just require you to be equally respectful to developers and users
16 alike, and to value the opinion of everybody - even if you think it's
17 totally wrong."
18
19 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=2
20
21 What control mechanisms are there within the Gentoo community to keep
22 a few bad apples from spoiling the whole barrel, as it were? I do not
23 wish to name any names, but it seems to me from having skimmed this
24 list for the past few years that there are a couple people who are
25 continually embroiled in flame wars and, in my opinion, are bringing
26 discredit to Gentoo in general and the developers in particular.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list