From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:45:58
1 > On Feb 17, 2016, at 9:41 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Feb 17, 2016, at 9:01 AM, Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> eudev has every commit scrutinized by people who care about using it on Gentoo. systemd-udev does not. Consequently, eudev has avoided the system boot breaking regressions that prompted its creation. That is a good reason to make it the new default. If it fails to fulfill its duties, then this could be revisited, but that should be unlikely.
12 >> I think if someone could enumerate those specific breakages and present it as evidence, that could get more people on board for this change. Moreso than just "upstream doesn't care about us" or "eventually split udev will be impossible".
13 >
14 > That would require more time than I have to give right now. Hopefully someone else could go through the old bug reports and IRC logs to find those records.
15
16 I forgot to mention commit histories. The change log on CVS for sys-fs/udev should provide information on things that were broken for long spans of time if the causes of the fixes are scrutinized while commits to eudev fixing things that were broken (and likely still are) would also document things. At least some of the early ones under my name were rejected by systemd. They went into eudev when it was created.
17 >
18 >> -Ben