From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Rethinking multilib flags in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 09:29:20
1 On Tue, 07 May 2019 23:47:30 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > While the large number of flags is practically invisible to user with
5 > all the USE_EXPAND hiding, it negatively impacts pkgcheck. When
6 > the number reached 10, CI became unusable. We're currently back down
7 > to 8, thanks to powerpc team, but the problem is going to happen again
8 > sooner or later. Ideally we'd improve pkgcheck but I'm not aware of
9 > anyone having a good idea how to do it.
12 While I don't disagree with your rationale below, I think this
13 motivation is the wrong one: What sort of algorithm does it use
14 to explode when going from 8 to 10 flags ?!?
15
16 There's multilib that adds a lot of flags with a single eclass change,
17 but I'd guess the number of packages and flags is constantly growing,
18 so sooner or later you'll be hit by this again and no multilib killing
19 will help you then.
20
21 I think it is more future proof to use the addition of multilib flags
22 to fix pkgcheck rather than actively reducing the number of multilib
23 flags to cope with its limitations.
24
25 Also, remember that multilib is not entirely about skype or slack,
26 this was made with multibin in mind too: for example an ABI may perform
27 better than another one on specific workflows (x32) and it may make
28 sense to use this abi for a specific binary (which would be manually
29 built for now).
30
31 Alexis.