From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:44:25
1 On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > As has been mentioned or alluded to before, this is fine as long as
3 > end-users --sync when the dependency change is still in the tree.
4 > However, if that doesn't happen then we still end up with the issue.
5 >
6 > Of course, if that is the case, then #2 shouldn't happen either
7 > (because the end-user system wouldn't see B as having been removed and
8 > therefore --depclean won't remove it).
9
10 Agree. Things stay consistent either way if everything is done properly.
11
12 Bottom line is that if you keep PVs installed which aren't in portage,
13 you're on your own. They could contain known bugs that we fixed in a
14 revbump that you missed, or they could contain security issues that we
15 don't bother to check for since we don't have the PV in our
16 repository, etc. If you keep such a PV installed then you're the
17 maintainer, so good luck!
18
19 If a more recent version is in portage, then your old ebuild will
20 probably uninstall cleanly (or at least as cleanly as it would with
21 static deps), and the upgrade will hopefully be in better shape.
22
23 Rich