From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: remove php4 from depend.php and others
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:56:46
1 On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > Hi Doug.
7 >
8 > On 11-07-2010 16:03, Doug Goldstein wrote:
9 >> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
10 >>> On 07/11/2010 08:02 AM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>> If I really need to go to the council with every change, considering
13 >>>> it must be debated on the ML for at least X number of days prior to
14 >>>> going to the council, I'd more likely just remove MythTV from the tree
15 >>>> and maintain it in an overlay. I don't invest a lot of time in the
16 >>>> MythTV ebuilds, but they work for a large majority of people. And when
17 >>>> a new version comes out it requires some retooling and it just works
18 >>>> for everyone.
19 >>>>
20 >>>
21 >>> When someone proposes this I'll let you know. What's under discussion is
22 >>> allowing removals to the public API of eclasses by following a
23 >>> documented process (that doesn't involve council approval).
24 >>>
25 >>>> So basically, you guys decide.. am I pulling them out of the tree or
26 >>>> am I leaving them in?
27 >>>>
28 >>>
29 >>> If you decided to drop maintenance of MythTV in main tree, wouldn't it
30 >>> be a better service to users to try and find a new maintainer (who would
31 >>> possibly merge stuff from your overlay)?
32 >>>
33 >>> Regards,
34 >>> Petteri
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >>
38 >> Simply put, the council's purpose is not to say "oh we have to stop
39 >> development and have a 4 week debate about everything minor". The
40 >> council's purpose is to help decide between different technical
41 >> solutions and encourage people to move forward on one unified path.
42 >> The council's purpose is not to HINDER development as your responses
43 >> clearly suggest you would like to hinder eclass development but
44 >> instead to promote positive development.
45 >
46 > There seems to be some misunderstanding going on as we (Gentoo) haven't
47 > approved (in prior councils terms or in the current one which hopes to
48 > have its first meeting in the coming week or the following) any rules
49 > about eclass changes having to be discussed or approved by the council.
50 >
51 >> Someone along the years the council lost its way and has felt that it
52 >> needs to stick its fingers into places that it really doesn't belong.
53 >> Its really become like the upper management at a large company that
54 >> slows its developers down, instead of helping make them more
55 >> efficient.
56 >
57 > About the issue in discussion, Petteri was recalling that contrary to
58 > what anyone new to Gentoo might conclude from the current discussion,
59 > the issue of eclass deprecation has been subject to at least 2 separate
60 > discussions in the past 2 or 3 years and that in the last round there
61 > was a proposal for setting minimal deprecation time frames.
62 >
63 > - --
64 > Regards,
65 >
66 > Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
67 > Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections
68
69 Jorge,
70
71 I remember very clearly as you and I were both council members at the
72 time. My point is that this discussion does not need to even happen
73 and the council shouldn't even remotely be involved here.
74
75 Let developers develop.
78 Doug Goldstein