From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:10:57
1 On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 03:22:17PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote
3 >
4 >> sounds like something to fix rather than punt. i don't know why
5 >> you think having server profiles is "undesirable", but i certainly
6 >> desire it on many systems. like servers. the desktop and developer
7 >> profiles are not appropriate.
8 >
9 > If it's going to be kept around, then please get rid of the warning in
10 > ebuilds. I'm one of the few people who checks /var/log/portage/elog
11 > regularly. The server profile is useless because it pollutes
12 > /var/log/portage/elog with a warning that this profile is unmaintained...
13 > ***ONCE FOR EVERY LAST SINGLE PACKAGE YOU BUILD***. If you want a light
14 > profile, I suggest doing what I do... start your USE variable in
15 > make.conf with "-*", and add any flags you need, either in package.use or
16 > in make.conf.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
23 We can remove the warning. There is nothing really wrong with these profiles.
26 Regards,
27 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2