From: Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 19:12:11
1 On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 05:38, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > My perception from the outside is also that it's sometimes hard to offer
3 > help. So if we now that we are busy then let's try to embrace others
4 > doing the work.
5
6 This is also what I have observed. I think Gentoo needs appear to be
7 much more focused on how to let people contribute, rather than how to
8 filter/monitor contributions. There's too much discussion about how
9 something is bad and why it shouldn't happen in the documentation and
10 mailing list, and too little about what can be done to make sure the
11 contribution, idea, or user(s) get included.
12
13 One specific example I can give is the developer status itself. Gentoo
14 developers are responsible for everything, including maintenance. This
15 is not a bad thing, if it's part of a greater developer ecosystem. All
16 successful projects I've observed survive on half of the work, at
17 least, being done by volunteers, and the developers are there to
18 simply review the work before it is applied.
19
20 As far as I can tell, creating an inviting atmosphere, in which the
21 developers listen and react to the community, is essential to the
22 continued survival of Gentoo.
23
24 Yea, this one of those long-term things that sounds awesome in theory
25 but is hard to do right. However, I think the sooner ideas like these
26 are discussed and possibly implemented, the sooner we don't have
27 threads like these in the mailing list. I am encouraged that Gentoo
28 developers are considering how to regroup themselves.
31 Jacob
32
33 "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
34 from the beginning of the world until now — and never
35 to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
36 short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
37 elect those days will be shortened."
38
39 Are you ready?