From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Modular X update
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:15:54
1 AREAS WE NEED HELP WITH:
2 1) Porting applications to modular X
3 2) Fixing descriptions for the vast majority of modular packages.
6 OK, it seems like we've now got issues resolved related to the new
7 virtual/x11 package. Despite all the eyes that looked at it and all the
8 publicity on lists and elsewhere, we still missed the lack of stable
9 keywords in it, which caused some issues when the default virtual was
10 pulled from the base profile. Thanks to axxo and flameeyes for dealing
11 with this while I was at lunch.
12
13 Here's roughly how it all works:
14
15 1) Users with xorg-6.x installed will continue along happily, because
16 6.x PROVIDES virtual/x11 on their systems.
17
18 2) Users with no X installed will pull in the virtual/x11 package
19 because there is no longer a default virtual.
20
21 3) Users with xorg-7.x installed will need all their packages updated
22 for modular dependencies. There is a porting guide at
23 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt
24 -- go ahead and run through it for your favorite packages, and file
25 bugs to their maintainers with the updated dependencies.
26
27 One note for porting to modular: binary packages will require a script
28 using ldd instead of one checking the compilation log. Petteri Räty has
29 kindly made one available at
30 http://dev.gentoo.org/~betelgeuse/scripts/checkdeps -- it depends on
31 portage-utils.
32
33 While packages are being ported to modular X, you will be unable to
34 upgrade any unported packages (so likely your 'world') without an entry
35 in /etc/portage/profile/virtuals that emulates virtual/x11 using an
36 installed package, e.g.:
37
38 virtual/x11 x11-base/xorg-x11
39
40 assuming you have the xorg-x11-7 metabuild installed.
41
42 I hope that covers pretty much everything right now.
43
44 Thanks for your patience,
45 Donnie
46 --