From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog - Infra Response; update 2015/11/11, potential impact to 30min rsync cycle
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:12:45
1 >>>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015, Jason Zaman wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:46:19AM +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote:
4 >> How should one report bugs ? to infra or portage ?
5 >> From my just rsynced tree, I see changelogs in reverse order: oldest
6 >> come first, latest come last
7
8 > NOTABUG, it was changed because rsync can deal really well with
9 > appending to the end of files. rsyncing a file where things were
10 > things were added to the beginning of the file means rsync will copy
11 > the whole file from scratch which is pretty sub-optimal.
12
13 Our ChangeLogs were always in newest-first order, so why would this
14 suddenly be an issue?
15
16 Also readability for users should take priority over technical
17 matters. Newest first is the usual order (e.g. it agrees with the
18 default of git log), and ChangeLog having different order from
19 ChangeLog-20* seems rather confusing to me.
20
21 Ulrich