From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Why masks are being used for security issues instead of GLSA?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:43:22
1 Hello,
2
3 many packages in tree are masked due to security issues instead of
4 issuing GLSA for them. Why? At this moment I counted 56 such
5 packages in package.mask.
6
7 Some of these packages have GLSAs issued (e.g. nethack and friends)
8 and have no fixes, so this is understandable. But most packages are
9 just masked "due to security bugs", I recently stumbled upon:
10 ppp, mariadb, mysql, vlc...
11
12 Why such masking is bad? Because it undermines the whole idea of
13 GLSA as a sole security provider for Gentoo users.
14
15 I manage about 50 Gentoo boxes (with more than 10 unique setups)
16 and I'm not an update monkey to update them weekly. My usual
17 workflow is to emerge all world somewhere within 6 month and 1
18 year, but to install security updates regularly and critical ones
19 ASAP. GLSA serves this purpose well (Yes, I understood that
20 security team can't embrace all issues so some extra lookup for
21 CVEs is needed as well). But security-masked packages undermine
22 such approach, because they're not listed in glsa-check -l affected
23 and message about masked packages doesn't appear in elog, only on
24 top of build log, which is likely to be lost.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Andrew Savchenko