From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage, SLOT, functionality, documentation, ChangeLog
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:00:39
1 I've talked about this several times, but I wanted to get it out in the
2 open;
3
4 Portage has an abhorrent lack of documentation, I'd like to see that
5 changed. Possibly
6 (especially) before a 1.4 release.
7
8 There are dozens upon dozens of facets of key functionality that are
9 simply not
10 explained, or not clearly explained. If they are, they're given a
11 sentence here and there,
12 scattered all about the Gentoo website, man/info pages, CVS, etc.
13
14 Also, and I can't stress this enough, a ChangeLog is *required*. When
15 key functionality
16 is introduced, updated, removed, or significantly altered, it is
17 imperative that users
18 and developers alike can be easily appraised of it in a common location.
19
20 A roadmap would also help a lot of people rest easy at night. Whether it
21 is the case or
22 not, it seems as if major changes take place in Portage on a whim. If
23 they are planned,
24 the general userbase has no foreknowledge of said plans and these
25 changes come as
26 a complete surprise when finally marked stable in the tree (if people
27 even know they
28 exist, due to the aforementioned lack of documentation).
29
30 Thoughts? Ideas?
33 Stewart Honsberger
34 http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
35 "Capitalists, by nature, organize to protect themselves.
36 -- Geeks, by nature, resist organizaion."
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list