From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:08:17
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:55:44 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 20/02/14 00:23, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> Following up to today's QA meeting: The gtk3 USE flag is used by 27
5 >> packages, so I suggest making it a global flag:
6 >>
7 >> gtk3 - Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit) version 3
8 >>
9 >> Ulrich
10 >
11 > that would suggest it's fine to use, and is anything but temporary
12 >
13 > -1 from here
14
15 You must have missed the news implied by that "following up" wording,
16 then. See the announcement/thread "February 2014 QA policy updates",
17 posted by creffett, just a few minutes before this thread started.
18
19 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/90291
22 Thus indeed, "anything but temporary" it appears to be.
23
24 (Personally, FWIW, while I understood the previous policy and wasn't
25 complaining, as a user who doesn't yet have gtk3 installed and who hopes
26 to convert all my installed gtk dependers to gtk3 at once and kill gtk2
27 at the same time I install gtk3 when the time comes, I do appreciate the
28 new policy, as it'll be that much easier to track what's pulling in one
29 or the other during the transition period.)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman