From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Add --hash-style=gnu to LDFLAGS
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:10:49
1 On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:31:52PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > >> It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track
4 > >> down
5 > >> packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a
6 > >> good way
7 > >> to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on
8 > >> LDFLAGS
9 > >> (or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?
10 > >
11 > > I would really really *really* appreciated if our beloved arch testers ( at least for linux amd64/x86
12 > > because they are the first who stabilize a package ) make this default
13 > > on their build boxes.
14 >
15 > sounds like someone needs to update/extend the arch testing
16 > documentation. random e-mails posted to random dev lists are quickly
17 > forgotten. new arch testers however should be reading the arch tester
18 > documnt.
19 >
20 I will update the guide for amd64 HT and I will strongly advice the rest of
21 the arches to do that as well. Using my QA powerzzz I will be quite strict
22 from now on with arches making such stabilizations.
23 > > It is annoying to mark a package stable when it has *clear* QA problems.
24 >
25 > please dont blow this out of proportion. two points:
26 > - stabilizing newer versions of a package when there is no QA
27 > regression is fine.
28 Fair enough, still those QA need fixing. The fact that these QA probs are not
29 regressions doesn't mean it is ok to ignore them
30 > - ignoring LDFLAGS, while incorrect, is rarely going to lead to
31 > broken packages being emerged on end users' systems. ignoring
32 > CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS however is much more likely to result in problems for
33 > end users when working with multilib or cross builds.
34 > -mike
35 Of course. Respecting any *FLAGS is vital and definitely ony of the many
36 reasons we use Gentoo.
39 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
40 Gentoo Linux Developer
41 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
42 Key ID: 441AC410
43 Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410