From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:22:56
1 On 03/07/2010 07:11 PM, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> said:
3 >> On 03/04/10 19:22, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
4 >>> All problems, which were blocking stabilization of Python 3, have been fixed.
5 >>> Stabilization of Python 3.1.2 is currently scheduled on 2010-04-19.
6 >>
7 >> #python on Freenode still reads "It's too early to use Python 3.x".
8 >> Are they wrong?
9 >
10 > I'd believe them.
11 >
12 >> Are we at a point already where we can feed 90% of the Python 2.x code
13 >> out there to Python 3 without problems?
14 >
15 > Doesn't seem that way.
16 >
17 >> Has QA given their blessing to this?
18 >
19 > Absolutely not. Its actually the opposite. Until 90+% of the tree just
20 > works with the new version of python, it should not be stabilized. The
21 > stable tree should all Just Work together. Stabilizing python-3 at this
22 > point would be the equivalent of me stabilizing gcc-4.5 after its been
23 > in the tree for a few months and nothing else works with it. Sure, gcc
24 > works just fine, but it can't compile half of the tree.
25 >
26 > I hope everyone can see that this is a terrible idea and of no use to
27 > our stable users. If a stable user really needs Python-3, they will
28 > have the technical ability to unmask it and use it properly.
31 +1
32
33 no need to stabilize experimental python, not even convinced it should
34 be in ~arch yet (but package.masked for testing)