From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ncurses-5.9 -> ncurses-6.0 step-by-step?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 07:15:11
1 I might've missed it, but do we have a step-by-step procedure to take a rootfs
2 that uses ncurses-5.9 and upgrade it to ncurses-6.0 WITHOUT breaking anything?
3 I, like others, ran into the problem of emerge yanking libncurses.so.5 libs
4 out when upgrading to ncurses-6.0, which broke bash and a few other packages.
5 Took some kludging but I got that fixed on my primary systems.
6
7 However I have a few chroots that need to be refreshed for catalyst runs, and I
8 would like to just automate the ncurses upgrade for them somehow. I know
9 there's a few nucrses metapackages in the tree that facilitate this, but the
10 -rX numbers make it confusing as to which packages need to be merged in which
11 order (without causing blocks) so that the libncurses.so.[56] libs stay in
12 place until an 'emerge @preserved-libs' run can rebuild the packages that still
13 link against the old libncurses.so.5.
14
15 Thanks!,
18 Joshua Kinard
19 Gentoo/MIPS
20 kumba@g.o
21 6144R/F5C6C943 2015-04-27
22 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
23
24 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
25 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
26
27 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic