From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2.6.22 stable plans
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:41:15
1 On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 00:14 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 02 August 2007, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 20:05 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > sounds good to me ... so to tie back to the source of the thread, crappy
5 > > > closed source vendor drivers are not a valid reason to hold up
6 > > > stabilization of a kernel
7 > >
8 > > Who ever said they were crappy? Maybe the documentation on usage is
9 > > crappy, but drivers have consistently gotten much better. These days
10 > > pretty solid IMHO for my uses.
11 >
12 > last time i used the drivers they sucked hard ... maybe it's gotten better; i
13 > dont know -- i tossed all my ati in favor of nvidia
14
15 Well ati's stuff has gotten much better over the last year. But really
16 IMHO from my experience. It's entirely about your xorg.conf. Wrong
17 config or etc and it will totally blow. In that regard nVidia seems to
18 be way more tolerant, and maybe detects stuff at runtime, ati requires
19 to be configed in xorg.conf.
20
21 > my point though wasnt to knock ati (although it was fun), the point was that i
22 > do not believe any closed source driver in our tree should ever be grounds
23 > for preventing stabilization of a kernel ebuild
24
25 Yes, I don't like that it's closed source either. But closed or open
26 source. It seems odd to have packages in our stable tree that don't work
27 with each other? Doesn't that kinda go against the point of our stable
28 tree?
29
30 I personally don't use genkernel, but I believe those updating their
31 systems via emerge world, and then running genkernel later against the
32 new kernel. Will likely have it fail, and then report bugs against our
33 stable tree.
36 William L. Thomson Jr.
37 Gentoo/Java