From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:14:00
1 On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 05:56:33AM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > > My issue with what we are currently doing is not whether we have a
5 > > default network provider in the stages or not, but it is just that the
6 > > netifrc use flag on OpenRC is bogus. OpenRC doesn't need netifrc for any
7 > > reason.
8 >
9 > William,
10 >
11 > the "push" for the use flag was to ensure that users would keep the
12 > existing networking functionaility and more importantly their network
13 > configuration. Without it, portage would "happily" clean /etc/conf.d/net -
14 > something not desirable by most.
15
16 Hi Jorge,
17
18 Portage will not clean /etc/conf.d/net, and this is not related to the
19 use flag. That is handled by the block starting at line 212 in
20 openrc-0.12.4.ebuild. I had to modify the file so portage
21 wouldn't remove it.
22
23 The push for the use flag was because people didn't think it was enough
24 for me to put out a news item telling them that they should emerge
25 netifrc if they wanted to continue using it once this version of OpenRC
26 was installed.
27
28 William