From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 01:23:22
1 On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/20/2017 11:10 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I support Hanno's suggestion of doing just SHA512, but would be
5 >> interested in hearing opinions from others who have apparent
6 >> security/crypto experience. Maybe the Security project can weigh the
7 >> suggestions as well?
10 > The whole discussion is moot so long as we don't have OpenPGP signed
11 > gentoo repository in rsync.
12 >
13 > SHA2-512 is generally quicker than sha256 on 64 bit architectures, but
14 > considerably slower for some architectures. Introducing a non-optimized
15 > keccak on top of it will have a significant negative performance impact
16 > for these arches without much security gain.
17 >
18 > if we still want two separate hashes, the choice of sha2 and sha3
19 > compination is a good one given they are based on separate constructs.
20 >
21 > But IMHO we should start where things matter and complete an
22 > implementation for OpenPGP signatures of MetaManifests in Portage.
25 This is why I use webrsync-gpg. Git commits are supposed to be
26 GPG-signed, so that may be suitable for your purposes.
27
28 Cheers,
29 R0b0t1.