From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Add new remote-id types in metadata.dtd
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:40:31
1 On 20 April 2012 23:21, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Currently it uses SRC_URI and HOMEPAGE, but honestly it wouldn't be
4 > hard to use any other environment variable and to do some checks on a
5 > webservice.
6 > Anyway for tricky cases it can still be done by hand.
7 >
8 > --
9 > Corentin Chary
10 > http://xf.iksaif.net
14 If you really want to support Perl Modules, ( which theres not much
15 need for at present, looks like the team have gone through already for
16 the most part and added remote-id's where possible already ), anything
17 that inherits 'perl-module.eclass' has a bit of magic, in that neither
18 SRC_URI or HOMEPAGE is required in the ebuild, and it just gets the
19 package name from what gentoo is using. We've tried to be as close to
20 upstream as possible for the ease of maintenance.
21
22 However, there are still exception cases, for instance, BioPerl has to
23 define 'MY_PN' to tell the perl-module eclass to use a different token
24 ( and when this is present, it should be sufficient to say that that
25 should be the remote-id instead of the package name:
26 see dev-perl/Moose # an example with neither src_uri or homepage
27 see sci-biology/bioperl # an example where the package name has
28 been forced overridden as its changed upstream
29
30 But resolving module names is much trickier, its easy-ish to map a
31 module name to a package using the service, but doing it the other way
32 round is not so straight forward, as one package can have many
33 modules, and its common in perl to state dependencies in terms of the
34 module to require, not the package its in, but there's also often a
35 defacto "main module".
36
37 But I'm myself still working out how to best do that with the service
38 , so auto-populating a "cpan-module" identifier can be left to later,
39 its just something I considered "useful" to have metadata wise because
40 that value is more useful to users.
43 Kent
44
45 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,