From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:41:05
1 Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 09/06/06, Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Yes, i agree, writting and maintaining ebuilds is a hard and
4 >> *time-consuming* task.
5 >> So if an user can't even take the time to fix a digest, why we should
6 >> support him
7 >> officially?.
8 >
9 > The point is that there are lots of users who are interested in niche
10 > packages that no developers use or are interested in. These users have
11 > the skills to write an ebuild, and other users of the package have the
12 > skills to fix and maintain that ebuild over time. These guys don't
13 > mind downloading ebuilds from bugzilla and fixing digests. But there
14 > are a larger class of users of niche packages that don't have the
15 > ebuild skills, and don't want the hassle of bugzilla and digest
16 > fixing. This larger group of users are the ones that would benefit
17 > from an overlay.
18 Fine. I highly agree on that, now my question is,
19 why this needs to be officially supported?
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list