From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tracking distfiles
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:00:39
1 On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 07:47, Nick Rout wrote:
2 > I told him I thought that it would probably be feasible to write a
3 > script to parse the portage tree, and to download all the files
4 > necessary for all the latest current stable builds in there. (Actually
5 > we have no idea even how much that is, but it certainly doesn't involve
6 > 5 or 6 versions of kde & gnome :-)
7
8 Even ignoring such things as NWN and America's Army (1.2GB and 700MB,
9 respectively), you are going to end up with a *MASSIVE* amount of data.
10 I would tend to think closer to 10x the size of a DVD. You would
11 probably do best to come up with a subset of the portage tree to
12 include. Perhaps a KDE-only DVD, which strips all Gnome-related ebuilds
13 from the tree. You could also do the same for Gnome. I also think it
14 would be a good idea to skip all of games-* simply due to size on a few
15 of them.
16
17 You will probably want to look at your space requirements. I am sure
18 one of the mirror admins could give you an insight into just how much
19 data there is in the tree. I would say your DVD with your original
20 specifications, would have to be somewhere around one half of the total
21 mirror size.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Developer
26 Games/LiveCD Teams