From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:36:26
1 On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 13:23 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > it has been brought to my attention that there have been several
5 > backward-incompatible changes made to the python eclasses lately.
6 >
7 > It is true that everything in ::gentoo has been fixed along with the
8 > changes to the eclasses; however, when a change like this goes into a
9 > widely used eclass it breaks overlays with little to no notice;
10 > especially since we do not require developers to be subscribed to this
11 > mailing list.
12 >
13 > I do agree that overlay authors are on their own to fix things, but we need to
14 > find a way to notify them when a breaking change is going into a widely
15 > used eclass and give them time to adjust their ebuilds.
16 >
17 > If the old way of doing things cannot be supported
18 > along side the new way the correct path forward is a new version of the
19 > eclass then a lastrites on the old version. That would give overlay
20 > authors time to switch to the new eclass.
21 >
22 > If the old and new way can be supported in the same code base, a
23 > reasonable way forward is to allow both ways to exist while ::gentoo is
24 > migrated to the new code path then do the equivalent of a lastrites for
25 > the old code path so overlay authors can adjust their ebuilds.
26 >
27 > Thoughts?
28 >
29 > William
32 All of this was announced with a 3 month timeout, using the right channels. Have
33 you checked all python-related eclasses changes submitted to the ML? In this
34 case, eqawarn would not have been possible, because the change involved
35 dereferencing a variable.
36
37 Check the git-2 debacle: 6.5 years of deprecation, and still a bunch of overlays
38 exploded. There comes a point where you just have to suck it up and move on.