From: COFFMAN Steven <SCoffman@××××××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:37:36
1 Hi,
2
3 There's something to be said for not making your hobby your job, but I was
4 idly thinking of what value paid subscriptions could add to Gentoo to
5 support development of the completely free version.
6
7 A Gentoo subscription might allow access to pre-compiled, optimized binaries
8 for free-but-closed source software like NVIDIA drivers for common
9 architectures. Nvidia might even pay Gentoo to do it for them.
10
11 Further, Gentoo subscribers might have the option to buy optimized binaries
12 for unfree software like Ximian Connector, Star Office, Doom III, etc. Loki
13 couldn't make a profit by licensing the closed source for porting, but maybe
14 for software that's already on Linux with Gentoo-the-company acting more as
15 a software reseller and consultant it might work.
16
17 A subscription would also probably get the obvious things like:
18 Subscriber-only mirrors
19 Ebuild compilation progress bars (based on how long similar machines took)
20 Precompiled binaries for common architectures/options (like KDE on Athlon)
21 A stuffed Gentoo cow mascot :)
22 GUI Portage
23
24 I don't know if there's even a problem with developers supporting themselves
25 outside of donations, but in case they were scrounging for cash.
26 -Steve
27 This message brought to you by Kellogg's(r) Apple Jacks(r), the crunchy,
28 sweetened multi-grain cereal with apple and cinnamon.