From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pchrist@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: use of the /run directory
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:29:59
1 On Tue, 17 May 2011 23:20:59 +0300
2 Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As I don't have the knowledge for this and I currently don't have the
5 > time to google/search it myself, can someone explain why other linux
6 > distibutions / Unix systems (wikipedia says that Solaris had /tmp on
7 > tmpfs from 1994) started putting directories on tmpfs and technically
8 > speaking what an average user would benefit from having /run, /tmp
9 > etc. directories on tmpfs?
10
11 For me, the most important advantage is that files get removed whenever
12 the system crashes for some reason. It's just simpler (and more error
13 prone) to have them gone automagically than to add services to remove
14 all of them on each boot.
17 Best regards,
18 Michał Górny