From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stripping implementation in portage
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:20:59
1 On Tuesday 23 August 2005 00:38, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Hola all.
3 >
4 > Short version, the nostrip feature is a bit funky as an option. What
5 > I'm after is effectively building all packages *with* debugging
6 > information as default, and leaving it up to the repository you're
7 > merging the package to, to decide on stripping or not.
8 >
9 > IOW, if you prefer stripped binaries on your livefs, the stripping
10 > occurs while merging to the livefs- this leaves you the option
11 > of having binpkgs that *do* carry non-stripped binaries/libs.
12 > Situation can be reversed also, for the embedded crowd.
13 >
14 > Downside, for people who flat out want stripping across the board,
15 > it's a bit more flipping it on, although that's addressed via inherit
16 > support within the underlying config (just take my word on that one :)
17 > Also involves a bit more logic, but that's just implementation voodoo.
18 >
19 > So... thoughts? I'd be particularly curious about any package where
20 > this wouldn't be viable.
21 >
22 > Aside from that, cc'ing both lists, would prefer the discussion on dev
23 > since the implementation can go either way; preference of if that
24 > flexibility is desired or not is a user thing, so we discuss it in
25 > their ml.
26
27 As an aside to this. Does anyone know how debug information can be changed
28 to have a different basedir. My idea was to create a "custom" strip
29 wrapper that would create external debugging files (like now possible
30 with gdb/binutils) and point them to a location
31 in /usr/src/packagenameplusversion. For that it would be necessary to in
32 some way hack the source location in the debug information.
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze
38 Gentoo Developer